After working with so many amazing clients over the last couple of years, I've been thinking about ways I can give back to the community and pass on knowledge to disadvantaged writers.
In November 2021, I started my low-cost Online Writing Workshop group.
In May 2022, I released my free eBook, How to Become a Proficient English Writer. Hundreds of people around the world have downloaded it already!
Now, I'm opening applications for the Emerging Writer Scholarship, 2022.
What does the scholarship include?
One emerging international writer will get the chance to work one-on-one with me, 100% free.
I will mentor the winner of the award over 12 weeks on a personalised programme. This scholarship is designed to improve your language level, so you can submit inspiring work in English and further your writing career.
If you write in English for your job and you fit into one of these categories, you can apply:
If you are not sure if your writing category is covered, send me a message and ask.
The winner will get:
- A programme of twelve one-to-one coaching sessions
- Detailed feedback on their writing
- Access to monthly workshops
- Access to exclusive members' groups
- Digital resource guides
- Digital copies of Philip's short-fiction collection
Why are you doing this?
It's important for me to give back to the writing community. I've been lucky enough to win writing prizes and have worked with mentors along the way. Where you are born should not be a barrier to learning, so I'm donating the time that I can to share my expertise.
I'm committing to running this programme once per year.
Who can apply?The idea of the scholarship is to remove the cost barrier to working with a writing coach. If you are a low-income writer and cannot afford tuition to develop your skills, you are welcome to apply. No questions asked.
Candidates from all countries around the world are welcome to apply.
As mentioned, ideal candidates will already be working as professional writers (freelance or employed). You do not need any qualification or duration of experience to apply.
Candidates must have a B2 level of English (upper intermediate) to apply.
Candidates must be available to complete the 12-week course between October and December 2022.
A stable internet connection for calls and a laptop to write are necessary.
When is the deadline to apply?
Applications open August 24th, 2022.
Application deadline - September 28th, 2022.
The winner will be announced on 30th September.
How do I apply?
To apply please send the following to email@example.com.
1. Cover letter - Explain your level of English, your professional writing role, your writing aims, and your motivation for applying for the award (maximum 300 words)
2. Essay - Who is a writer you admire? Why? (maximum 300 words)
3. Sample - A sample representative of your best writing (maximum 500 words)
Use the subject line 'Emerging Writer Scholarship Application' and attach all three sections as one document (docx, or PDF).
Title the document 'Scholarship Application - Name Surname'
Write your name, email address and first language on the first page.
You will retain the copyright to all of your work.
No content will not be published or distributed in any way by English Writing Coach.
How will the winner be chosen?
This award is not based on your current level of English. It is not a test of language proficiency.
After reading the applications, I will award the scholarship based on the following:
- Whether the applicant demonstrates they are passionate about learning and deserving of the scholarship.
- Whether the applicant demonstrates a love of reading and analysis.
- Whether the applicant is honest and wants to share their writing for the right reasons.
- Whether the applicant is able to produce writing that inspires or excites me. This could show in the idea, the technical execution, the choice of language, or the care that has gone into crafting the writing.
The decision is final and no discussions will be entered into.
It is not possible to exchange the prize for cash or any other alternative.
The winner must be available to complete the mentorship program from October to December 2022.
Applications are open until September 30th 2022.